Don’t just drive. Discover.
‘Are we nearly there yet?’ It is the dreaded question which will be heard in cars across the country as the summer holidays get into full swing, and which usually signals the tipping point for tempers.
The journey to a holiday destination is often considered the final hurdle between holidaymakers and the break they’ve been looking forward to.
But with 37 million people choosing to holiday at home last year, it seems the ‘staycation’ is here to stay. And that means those journeys, on holiday routes at peak times, are set to be even busier.
Rather than driving you to distraction, the holiday journey could actually take you on a journey of discovery.
Using these simple travel tools you can plan a stop-off either before you set off or en route.
- Visit highways.gov.uk/traffic to check traffic conditions
- Tune into DAB Traffic Radio
- Download the Highways Agency iphone app for live traffic information
- Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/holidayroutes
- Check your route on www.transportdirect.info
And to make sure your adventure is a safe one:
- Ensure your vehicle is serviced and ready for the journey
- Check screen wash and tyre pressures including caravans and trailers
- Don’t overload a roof rack or bike rack. Ensure you firmly secure it
- Sun glare can be hazardous for driving. Take a good pair of sunglasses
- Travel prepared for delays by having an emergency kit including a map, warning triangle, fluorescent jackets, first-aid kit, relevant medication, food, water and warm/waterproof clothing
- Take regular breaks on long journeys
The Highways Agency is responsible for